About The Incredible Dope

My photo
Hip Hop Curmudgeon, but otherwise a lover of music.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Marvin Gaye

Today would've been Marvin Gaye's 72nd birthday. Assuming had he lived to the age of 72 today I would image he be retired from music right about now, (maybe, maybe not) but think about the music he would've made between now and the 27 years in-between? Already a pioneer in music, he could have led an even newer generation of music.

I remember on April 1, 1984 me and mother were sitting in the living room when it was announced that Marvin Gaye Sr. had shot his son Marvin. I was only seven years old at the time and the first time I heard a Marvin Gaye record was the LP my mother had bought which was Midnight Love featuring the single "Sexual Healing", it wouldn't be till some years later that I discovered the cultural significance that Marvin Gaye had on EVERYTHING.

"I don't make records for pleasure. I did when I was a younger artist, but I don't today. I record so that I can feed people what they need, what they feel. Hopefully, I record so that I can help someone overcome a bad time."

-Marvin Gaye


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Marvin_Gaye








No comments:

Post a Comment